Knowledge Centre

PEO publishes a variety of resources to assist licence holders in their roles and responsibilities, as well as guidance for applicants going through the licensure process.


Ontario professional engineers are part of a community of more than 87,500 PEO licence and certificate holders committed to enhancing the quality of life, safety and well-being in the province.

PEO’s Engineering Intern (EIT) program provides guidance and assistance to engineering graduates as they acquire the 48 months of acceptable engineering work experience, including annual reviews of experience.

As the regulator of engineering in Ontario, it’s PEO’s role to assure the public that licensed practitioners are competent to practise in their chosen discipline, and that they are taking responsibility for the outcomes of their work.

As Ontario’s engineering regulator, PEO relies heavily on its volunteers. More than 1,000 professional engineers, engineering interns and non-engineers volunteer their time each year on behalf of the association through their participation.

PEO's mandate, as described in the Professional Engineers Act, is to ensure that the public is protected and that individuals and companies providing engineering services uphold a strict code of professional ethics and conduct.

Online Learning Modules

PEO’s Online Learning Modules provide licence holders, volunteers, staff and applicants with various learning and development opportunities.

Practice Advice Resources and Guidelines

PEO offers a variety of practice advice resources to assist licence holders in providing professional and ethical engineering services.

Frequently Asked Questions

An examination of your practice will help you determine whether you are offering or providing engineering services to the public. The public is usually legally defined as any person or entity with whom you have an arm's length relationship. For example:

  • If you "hang out your shingle"; advertise and promote yourself - either personally or through a legal entity such as a company or partnership - as offering professional engineering services, a C of A is required.
  • If you provide professional engineering services to the public through the sale of a product that is custom-designed or an original (as opposed to an off-the-shelf product), a C of A is required.
  • If you work for others, but offer professional engineering services directly to the public on a part-time, moonlighting, or volunteer basis, you must hold a C of A. Under these circumstances, you should also, as a matter of professional courtesy, inform your employer that you are undertaking such work, in order to avoid potential conflicts of interest. In addition, you should provide your client with a written statement of the nature of your status as an employee and the attendant limitations on your services to the client.

In short, if you are practising professional engineering and engaging in the business of offering or providing those services to anyone but yourself or your employer, you require a C of A. In recent years, firms have increasingly secured engineering staff through a contract of service. But you may still be an employee for the purposes of licensure and thus not require a C of A if:

  • you work exclusively for a particular firm;
  • your employment contract addresses non-disclosure, ability to control work hours and time off, expectations related to performance, notice, termination and remuneration;
  • your expenses are reimbursed
  • you are paid a salary or wage;
  • you are provided an office and equipment on business premises;
  • have set work hours;
  • you are provided benefits, e.g. vacation pay;
  • your work is covered under the firm's professional liability insurance policy.

However, if the firm requiring your engineering expertise offers a contract for service, a Certificate of Authorization will likely be required. You are likely working under a contract for service and would thus require a C of A if:

  • your contract indicates an independent contract or relationship, or the firm purchases your time from an agency;
  • you are free to provide your business services to more than one firm;
  • you invoice the business for your time;
  • you are not paid if services are not performed;
  • you are not covered by the firm's professional liability insurance;
  • your hours of work are not restricted;
  • you receive no vacation pay or bonuses.

The practice of professional engineering is defined in section 1 of the Professional Engineers Act and comprises three tests. Professional engineering is:

  1. any act of designing, composing, evaluating, advising, reporting, directing or supervising, or the managing of any of these acts;
  2. wherein the safeguarding of life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare or the environment is concerned, and
  3. that requires the application of engineering principles.

If what you do meets all three tests, you are practising professional engineering and must be licensed by the association.

All questions should be emailed to

IEG applicants with at least five years of engineering experience following graduation from a bachelor of engineering or applied science program must submit a work experience summary as outlined on page 9, section 7 of the Licensing Guide and Application for Licence.

Failure to receive all required documents within the six-month application window will automatically disqualify applicants from the Financial Credit Program.

A) Status in Canada document (copy of one of the following):

  1. Canadian Birth Certificate;

  2. Canadian Citizenship Card (photocopy both sides);

  3. Record of Landing (Landed Immigrant Status) from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (which must show date of landing);

  4. Permanent Resident Card (both sides).

Please note, the above are the only documents acceptable as proof of your Canadian status. Other documents, such as passports, are not acceptable to qualify for this program or for the P.Eng. licence.

B) Academic Documents:

  1. Graduates of programs accredited by the CEAB and IEG applicants who graduated from a United States engineering program:

    - Bachelor of engineering or applied science transcript showing the date the degree was conferred.
    - Transcripts must be received by PEO directly from the issuing institution. Photocopied transcripts and/or “student” issued transcripts are not acceptable.

IEG applicants who graduated from any other international engineering program:

- Original transcripts, diplomas, degrees and/or certificates.
Copies of the original documents will be accepted if the copies are signed and certified as a true copy of the original by a Canadian professional engineer (with licence number) or a notary public of Ontario. Applicants may also bring their originals and copies to PEO’s office for verification. However, please note that all academic documents issued by a Canadian and/or a US engineering institution must be sent to PEO directly by the institution issuing the documents and photocopied transcripts and/or student-issued transcripts form those institutions are not acceptable;

A copy of the thesis abstract for any postgraduate degree or degrees.
If the original transcripts, diplomas, degrees, certificates and/or abstracts were not issued by the institution in English, English translations must be prepared by a certified member of the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO), or by a Canadian professional engineer who must certify that he or she is fluent in both languages. If a translator cannot be found for your language, contact the Licensing and Registration department. (Please note that P.Eng. licence holders should not use their P.Eng. seals on non-engineering documents.)

Graduates of programs accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board must submit the following:

  1. Acceptable Canadian status documents;

  2. Acceptable academic documents;

  3. Acceptable proof of age document;

  4. Provide a valid email address for all PEO communications; and

  5. A completed and signed P.Eng. licence application.

International engineering graduates (IEG) must submit the following:

  1. Acceptable academic documents;

  2. Acceptable proof of age document;

  3. Acceptable Canadian status documents;

  4. Provide a valid email address for all PEO communications;

  5. A completed and signed P.Eng. licence application; and

  6. A work experience summary - This applies to applicants with at least five years of engineering experience following graduation.

  1. To qualify for the FCP, applicants must:

    1. Be 18 years of age or older.

    2. Have a bachelor's degree in engineering or applied science and:


Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) graduates must ensure that all documents to support their P.Eng. application are received by PEO within six months of the date of degree conferral. CEAB accredits bachelors degree programs only; post-graduate degrees are not accredited by CEAB. For a list of all CEAB accredited programs please visit the Engineers Canada website.

  1. Download and complete the fillable P.Eng. licence application, attach copies of all required documents, and send it to us at within six months of the date of degree conferral (CEAB graduates) or within six months of landing in Canada (IEG).

  2. International engineering graduates (IEG) must ensure that all documents to support their P.Eng. application are received by PEO within six months of their landing date in Canada.

The Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) was established by Engineers Canada in 1965 to accredit undergraduate engineering programs.