International Engineering Graduates

In Canada, the P.Eng. designation represents the highest standards of engineering knowledge, experience and professionalism in the country. To become a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada, you must be licensed in each provincial/territorial jurisdiction in which you are practising. In Ontario, only those individuals who have demonstrated that they possess the necessary qualifications and have been licensed by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) can use the P.Eng. title.

New Canadians are the talent pool for building a skilled and diverse Canada. In recent years, the profession has become even more accessible for international engineering graduates seeking to become licensed in Ontario.

For more details, visit The Roadmap to Engineering in Canada website (Engineers Canada) and check out PEO’s brochure Valuing Newcomers: A Guide to Licensure for International Engineering Graduates.


Application process:

Before you Immigrate to Ontario

You may begin the licensing/registration process from your country of origin before immigrating to Ontario by completing the Application for Licence. You will be required to:

  • provide documentary evidence of your qualifications for our assessment; and
  • include the appropriate fees to initiate your application for licence.

This is intended to reduce the time it takes for you to receive your licence and if your academic qualifications meet PEO’s standards for licensure.

For more information on PEO’s licensure process, please see the Become a P.Eng./Requirements for Licensure web page.

Application Package

The Application for Licence is available in fillable electronic format (PDF).

Applicants must submit the following:

  • the completed application form with the supporting documentation requested; and
  • payment of application fee to "Professional Engineers Ontario". (Please check the current fee schedule.) (Please do not provide a cheque or money order at this time, PEO will inform you when a payment is required and provide information on how to pay online.)

Foreign Language Documentation

If your academic documents are not in English, you are required to submit a notarized English translation as well as the original documents. You must also provide your detailed course descriptions (a syllabus) and an experience record for our review.

An official English translation of your documents must be certified by a translator from the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) or prepared and certified by a Canadian Professional Engineer (P.Eng).

Translation or Certification Statements

Professional engineers may use the statements found in the following document if they wish to certify that they have translated or reviewed translated documents or certified academic documents for P.Eng. applicants.


  1. Professional engineers should sign, date, and provide their P.Eng. licence number on each page of the document. PEO stamps should not be used on non-engineering documents (academic documents are not considered engineering documents).
  2. For degrees obtained from universities in Canada or the United States, the transcripts must come to PEO directly from the universities or in a sealed university envelope. Photocopies, faxed, emailed or student-issued transcripts will not be accepted.

Academic Qualification Assessment

The academic qualification assessment should take no longer than two months to complete after PEO has received all the required documents.

Once your documents have been assessed, PEO will advise you on what examinations you will be required to write, in the event your academic qualifications are assessed to be deficient, or in order to confirm that they are equivalent to PEO’s academic requirements for licensure.

As soon as you arrive in Ontario, you may continue the licensure process without paying an additional fee for the licence application.

When You Arrive in Ontario

If you have already had your academic qualifications assessed (as described above), you should contact PEO when you arrive to continue the licensure process. You will be asked to provide proof of:

  • your full legal name;
  • your PEO file number (this appears on all PEO communication to you); and
  • you must re-submit an official English translation of your documents certified by a translator from the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) or prepared and certified by a Canadian professional engineer.

If you did not start the application process for licensure when you arrived in Ontario, and you have been in the province for less than six months, you may be eligible for PEO’s Engineering Intern Financial Credit Program. Under the program, PEO will credit your licence application fee as well as the cost of your first year’s membership in the Engineering Intern (EIT) Program (if you enrol) towards payment of your registration and initial P.Eng. licence fees once you have been approved for a licence.

Note: Changes to the Engineering Intern Financial Credit Program (FCP) will come into effect on May 1, 2019. As of this date, eligible participants will have the cost of their application fee and first year of enrollment in the EIT program (should they have chosen to enroll) credited towards payment of their registration and initial P.Eng. licence fees once they have been approved for a licence. Prior to May 1, 2019, eligible candidates had their application fee and first year of enrollment in the Engineering Intern (EIT) program immediately waived.

Bridging programs to assist internationally educated engineers meet the requirements for professional engineering licensure in Ontario are also available through Ryerson University and the University of Toronto.

For more information on the resources available to you, visit Access to the Engineering Profession in Ontario, a fact sheet developed in collaboration with the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Access to Professions and Trades Unit and PEO, designed to assist internationally skilled workers access the engineering profession in Ontario.


Requirements for Licensure

The Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licence gives the right to practise professional engineering in the province of Ontario. To be licensed by PEO, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old;
  • be of good character;
  • meet PEO's stipulated academic requirements for licensure (hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation board (CEAB)-accredited program, or possess equivalent qualifications);
  • fulfill the engineering work experience requirements (demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under a licensed professional engineer); and
  • successfully complete PEO’s National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE).

Questions? Contact us

Questions regarding academics or education:

Questions regarding the National Professional Practice Exam:

If you would like the Licensing Guide and Application mailed to you: